No better way to welcome the holidays than with this sweet Dulce De Leche Walnut Holiday Wreath, a treat the whole crowd can enjoy!
Winter holidays are all about traditional (and not so traditional) sweet treats. For me, it’s hard to imagine the holidays if I don’t spend a day (or five) making a bunch of sweet treats. It doesn’t get any better with a blast of holiday music and a never ending cycle of holiday movies while I hang out in the kitchen cooking. It’s like I turn into some sort of kitchen elf that absolutely must decorate just one more cookie even though it’s two in the morning. Cheers to the holiday spirit!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the winter holidays. It’s cozy and magical. I’m a sucker for sparkling lights, stretching out on a soft blanket by a fireside, and, of course, sweets.
When it comes to sweets, I can practice self control all I want until the combo of Dulce De Leche and walnuts is involved. At that point, all reasons and excuses go flying out the door and a big spoonful heads straight into my mouth. Oye!
Waiting to dig into this Dulce De Leche Walnut Holiday Wreath until after I had taken the pictures was hard, not gonna lie. When perfectly soft rolls of pastry dough filled with buttery warm caramel and crunchy toasted walnuts whisper your name, one can only practice so much self control.
When you make this Dulce De Leche Walnut Holiday Wreath recipe, your house will smell like pure JOY and cozy comfort. Heavenly, melt in your mouth fluffy buttery pastry dough, smothered with creamy dulce de leche and a crunchy walnuts. Just DIVINE! It can be prepared the night before: refrigerate the dough after the first rise; complete in the morning. Your Holiday breakfast morning can’t get any better!
As it bakes, the dulce de leche filling caramelizes and gives the bread a wonderfully sweet and crunchy coating, while the interior remains soft and tender. It’s a holiday breakfast treat that will disappear in a flash!
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living magazine.
- 4½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14 ounce) can Dulce de leche (or 1¾ cups)
- ⅓ cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- In the mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Melt the butter in the small saucepan and combine it with the milk. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and add egg. Kneed on medium speed until everything is combined and dough forms, about 7-10 minutes. Cover and let sit in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a 12 or 14 inch pizza pan with parchment paper, place a small bowl (about 3-4 inch diameter) in the center of the pan. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl combine dulce de leche, yogurt and walnuts. Set aside.
- After the dough has doubled in size, punch it down. (At this point you can cover it and refrigerate overnight to finish in the morning). Turn out onto lightly floured work surface and divide the dough in half. Roll one half into 15x10 inch rectangle. Spread half of the filling over the dough, leaving ½ inch border at 1 long side. Starting at long side opposite border, tightly roll up and pinch seam to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and dulce de leche spread. Freeze the dough logs on parchment paper-lined cutting board until firm, about 1 hour.
- Cut each dough log into 12 pieces. Arrange pieces, cut side up, in ring shape around the bowl. Arrange remaining pieces around first layer. Remove bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the rolls are golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.