This Beef Pumpkin Chili is extra hearty with delicious sweetness and earthy undertone that takes chili to a whole new level of good. The perfect way to knock off the chill and satisfy hungry bellies.
As we’re are now hanging on to the colder weather, I wanted to share more fall-like recipes with you. One of the reasons I love fall is because of all the food. I wish it would be fall all year long, so I could stuff my face with stews, soups and chili.
Now BREAKING NEWS: this is my 1st pumpkin recipe… ever! I’m not sure how I’ve managed to blog for 3 years now without a pumpkin recipe. Today this changes! This Beef Pumpkin Chili is going to be a fall staple for your family. It’s hearty, flavorful and packed full of wholesome ingredients.
This beef pumpkin chili is stuffed in cute little pumpkin, because Halloween! I know what’s on your mind; you’re thinking – chili on weeknight? Doesn’t it take like a million hours to prepare? Guess what? I put this chili together using my pressure cooker and it was done in 30 minutes! That’s right, easy, fast weeknight meal, that surely will warm up your bones.
It’s super filling and comforting, but is still healthy enough and packed with vitamin A from the pumpkin. Of course don’t let yourself be that healthy and add some cheese and a dollop of sour cream. You can’t be 100% good 100% of the time.
The addition of pumpkin not only adds an extra hearty, rich and soul-satisfying element to this Beef Pumpkin Chili, but also adds delicious sweetness that goes so well with all the spices. Big, bold flavors that youngsters and elders will appreciate.
This recipe can be made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker as well. Just make sure, if you’re cooking this Beef Pumpkin Chili in the slow cooker (same goes for pressure cooker), that you sauté your vegetables and brown your meat before combining all the ingredients to bring out the flavors.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (green, yellow, red or mix), diced
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups sugar pie pumpkin, cubed
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 or more little pumpkin "bowls"
- Heat oil and sauté onion, jalapeno and bell peppers until tender, 10 min.
- Add garlic and sauté for 3 min longer.
- Add in ground beef and cook until browned.
- Mix in tomatoes, pumpkin and the stock.
- Season with salt and pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Add thyme sprigs.
- Cover and set to cook for 30 min on high pressure. Release the steam and stir in the black beans.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the lid off the pumpkin and scoop out the insides.
- Brush the pumpkin with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 30 min or until soft.
- Ladle the chili inside the baked pumpkin bowls, top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, cheese... whatever you like with your chili.